Bonavista was built in Marstal in 1914 by the shipbuilder Ludvig Johansen for use in the service to New Foundland. At this time the ship’s owner and master was J.E. Christensen. After 1926 it was given its first motor and was sold in 1960, its name then being changed to Thomas.
In 1972 it could no longer be used as a working vessel and was sold to Per Thuesen, who gave it its old name of 'Bonavista' back. Until 2000 the ship was used for leisure fishing and charter trips.