UNESCO World Heritage
More than a thousand years ago, the monuments in Jelling were created in order to show posterity:
- Here, the country was gathered into a kingdom
- Here, the name "Denmark" makes its appearance for the first time
- Here, Christianity became the official religion of Denmark
- Here, the king - the progenitor of the current Danish house of royalty - was presented
- Here, stands the symbol of the founding of the Danish nation
- Here, the change from a Nordic pagan society to an European civilisationis marked out
The Danish nation was born and created in Jelling and in 1994 the Jelling Monuments were put on UNESCO's World Heritage List.
There is no similar monument to be found anywhere else in the World.