Viking-Age Ring Fortresses
The five Danish ring fortresses - Aggersborg, Fyrkat, Nonnebakken, Borgring and Trelleborg are all included in UNESCO's tentative list of World Heritage Sites. The fortresses are thus assessed to be cultural heritage of unique universal significance and therefore suitable for inclusion on the World Heritage List.
The fortresses were built in AD 970-980 during the reign of Harald Bluetooth as a confirmation of the king's power. They are all part of the same narrative, about Harald Bluetooth's ambitions on the unification of the Danish realm and a rearmament of the kingdom in connection with the pressure from the German-Roman emperor Otto II.
An entry on the World Heritage List will be a great recognition of the importance of the fortresses in world history. It will also be of great importance locally for the individual municipalities and for Denmark as a Viking nation.
The fortresses are in the process of completing the application for inclusion on the UNESCO World Heritage List, and the plan is to submit the application before 1st February 2021.
For more information please click on the air photograph of the individual ring fortresses below
Appendix to application
The UNESCO application has reference to appendixes that you find ready for download below (PDF documents).
Read our Management Plan - Viking-Age Ring Fortresses as a World Heritage Site.
- Aggersborg cultural heritage text
- Aggersborg listing FBB Fredningssag Aggersborggaard
- Aggersborg municipalityplan 2017 Vesthimmerland
- Aggersborg municipalityplan 2017 Jammerbugt
- Aggersborg municipalityplan appendix KP17-013-Bufferzones Aggersborg
- Aggersborg natura 2000 area16 2016-21
- Aggersborg drone footage
- Fyrkat cultural heritage text
- Fyrkat listing
- Fyrkat listing 2
- Fyrkat listing 3
- Fyrkat listing 4
- Fyrkat municipalityplan 2013-25
- Fyrkat municipalityplan maps 2-15
- Fyrkat drone footage
- Nonnebakken culturalheritage text
- Nonnebakken districtplan 2-443 Godthåbsgade-kvarteret
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 6.B.4 Allégade Lahnsgade
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 6.B.11 Albanig Kronprinsensg Absalonsg
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 6.BE.1 Munke Mose Allé
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 6.O.1 Nonnebakken
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 6.R.8 Munkemose
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 2020 historic environments 3.4
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 2020 standalone section
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan 2020 standalone section 3.4.4.
- Nonnebakken municipalityplan Albanikvarteret
- Nonnebakken planstrategy 2019
- Trelleborg culturalheritage text
- Trelleborg districtplan 1224
- Trelleborg map protected areas
- Trelleborg municipalityplan 2017-28
- Trelleborg protected area fortidsmindebeskyttelseslinjen
- Trelleborg protected areas lake and river
- Trelleborg drone footage